SIUE offers a Bachelors of Science (BS) and Bachelors of Arts (BA) in Computer Science. The BS program is Accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, (www.abet.org); the BA program is not accredited by any ABET commission. The two degree programs have much in common; for example, both programs include the same set of core Computer Science courses (as shown in the program requirements table below).
The first requirement for admission is an interest in computing. It is not necessary that students know anything about programming before taking the introductory programming course, CS 140 (Introduction to Computing I), but they should have some prior experience in using a computer (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, and electronic mail). If students do not have this prior experience, it is recommended they take CMIS 108 (Computer Concepts and Applications) first.
In order to be admitted to the BS or BA program, students must satisfy the requirements for admission to a program in the School of Engineering:
- Completion of all Academic Development courses required by the University
- Completion of any required courses to address high school deficiencies
- Completion of MATH 120 (College Algebra) or high school equivalent with a grade of C or better
- Cumulative grade average of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale
A student may be dropped from the program in any of the following circumstances:
- He or she has a GPA of less than 2.0 in all computer science courses
- He or she has a GPA of less than 2.0 in all mathematics courses
- He or she has a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0
- He or she fails to enroll in courses toward fulfillment of program requirements for three consecutive semesters
For more information, click the appropriate link under "Admission Criteria" on the university's main admissions page.
|Core Computer Science Courses
CS 111, 140, 150, 234, 240, 312, 314, 321, 325, 330, 340
(add ECE 282)
|Senior Project Courses
CS 425, 499
|Computing Elective Courses||9||15|
|Science Courses||0||14 or 15|
|Foreign Language Courses||8||0|
|Courses leading to a Non-CS Minor||18||0|
|General Education Courses||consult the undergraduate catalog||consult the undergraduate catalog|
For undergraduate overviews, checklists, and sample programs, please visit our Downloads and Forms section.